Molds can be very sneaky, and because they hide in cracks, as well as other invisible places, most of us are unaware of their existence. If they were harmless little creatures, probably none of us would really put their time into them. I mean, there’s a lot more to think about than mold. But apparently, mold in the house is not only a problem for people with asthma and allergies. Irrespective of who you are, or where you live, you need to reduce the amount of mold you are breathing in. Mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, throat, and lungs. A report from 2007 also stated that scientists have found a direct correlation between a high presence of mold in the household and depression. The state of your home greatly influences your mood. Think of when you have clutter lying all over, how does it feel? Additionally, molds are just a nuisance because they can live off any organic matter; this includes your leather jacket.
They can be found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can get into your home through open windows, doors, and even heat and air conditioning systems. Mostly they flourish in humid places. If you smell a musty odor in your home, it’s probably time for a cleanup. Since they are almost imperceptible for you to be searching for them clueless, we have come up with a list of places that mold could be hiding in your home.
The environment in the chimney equals an ideal place for the growth of mold. By now we know molds can grow anywhere as long as there are moisture and food. If moisture gets in your chimney (which can happen easily) maybe through damaged masonry or any other damaged component, it can make a perfect home for mold. Since chimneys are dormant most time of the year, the humidity causes a healthy amount of moisture that encourages the molds to multiply. If you are unable to see discoloration on your chimney’s wall, more often if mold is growing inside, the first indication will be a musty odor (that smell most of us relate to old-basement smell). To remove the mold, try calling in for service because it is easier that way without risking your health. Then check if there are moisture intrusion problems and get them fixed to take care of the dampness.
Washing Machine and Dishwasher
As surprising as it may be, mold can be found in the same place as both a washing machine and dishwasher. Mostly, they are found in the gasket around the door of the dishwasher and a front-loading washing machine. It often stays wet because the door is usually closed when not in use. This gives the molds the right environment to munch and multiply. To prevent this, wipe the gasket and the glass dry after any wash. If you notice molds are already there, simply run a hot water wash with some mild bleach-like chlorine. It will definitely kill any mold. Make sure both the machines are empty when you are at it.
Mold On Dishes
It might not come as a surprise if you see some molds grow on your dishes, especially if you are in the habit of leaving them dirty in the sink. You are creating an ideal environment for them with both moisture and food. Nevertheless, you will be shocked that you can also find mold in clean dishes if you give them enough time. Mostly for some, life just gets in the way and you find you ordered takeout for the whole week. In such situations, if you didn’t dry your dishes and placed them in the cabinet, you will be sure to get molds. If you do, use vinegar and warm water to clean the utensils. Thereafter wipe the cabinets with the same and completely dry the dishes as you arrange them back. A moldy dishwasher can also be a cause of quick mold growth on your utensils. Therefore clean it too.
Window Sashes and Sills
Discovering molds in your window can be a regular problem if your windows have leakage or condensation is an issue to your home. On most homes, molds begin to grow from the bottom of the window at the joint between the glass and window sash frame. As soon as you spot one, you need to get rid of it because mold seen is hardly compared to the amount that is really there. Before you begin cleaning away the mold, you want to make sure you don’t ingest dangerous spores. Therefore, find a dust mask and gloves to wear. Also, ensure there is proper ventilation by opening doors and windows where spores can go instead of being trapped inside the house. On the other hand, you don’t have to treat mold from your windows when you can prevent them. You can achieve this by reducing the amount of condensation on your windows. It can be done by setting the air conditioner thermostat above 70 degrees. It is also helpful to allow proper airflow by ensuring ceiling vents are open at all times.
The air conditioner mold should be removed as soon as possible. This is because they can be easily spread throughout the house every time you turn it on. While some homeowners prefer to deal with a household problem on their own (all you need is bleach, clean sponge or towel, and hot water), It’s probably better to call in a professional. It can be pretty difficult to access all parts of the air conditioner, but the professionals have the necessary equipment without exposing you to health risks. Definitely, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and if you can prevent the growth of mold in the first place that would be better. Keeping the air conditioner duct-free from dust by regular cleaning will go a long way in preventing mold development.
The Bottom Line
In every problem, prevention is better than cure, therefore try keeping those moist places in your home as dry as possible and allowing the free flow of air. We are hoping you will now have an easier time finding and getting rid of those molds.